If you are reading this, you are probably considering starting a YouTube channel. You might think, “I have no idea where to start!”
Stick around as we walk you through the basics of YouTube, including how to gain subscribers, how to improve views and engagement, and how to make money on YouTube. That is right; there are ways to monetize your YouTube channel and earn an income from your videos. So, if you have the creativity and the knack for making videos, take this as your first step in becoming a YouTube content creator.
How to make a YouTube channel
You need to have a google account to have a YouTube account (Google owns YouTube). So sign up for a Google account and sign in to YouTube using your created Google account. In the upper right corner, you will see your profile button. Click on that, and you will see a drop-down menu with several buttons. Select the ‘create a channel’ option. After that, you will need to do the following steps:
· Click ‘customize channel’. You will see your channel dashboard.
· Then, in the left corner, you will see the ‘settings’ and click on that.
· Go to the ‘channel tab’ and edit your basic info. If you notice, you will be asked to input keywords. When choosing keywords, make sure that it clearly depicts what your channel is about, and do some SEO keyword research to help your channel rank higher.
· Next, you need to go to the tab ‘feature eligibility’; under ‘intermediate features,’ you will see that you would need to verify your account. Follow the steps in verifying your account. This is very important.
· After verifying your account, you must go back to ‘channel customization’. Under the ‘layout’ section, click on the ‘featured section.’ This section will be the first to appear when your viewers visit your channel. It would be good to feature your ‘popular’ videos, or if you plan to do some YouTube shorts, then you can feature that on your channel’s landing page.
· Then, back to the dashboard, you will see a ‘monetization’ button in the left corner. It is important to know that YouTube requires 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of public watch time to be able to monetize your videos.
How to get more views on YouTube
As mentioned, you need to get more views and subscribers to make money on YouTube. Here are some tips on how to get more views on YouTube:
· Use keyword-rich titles and descriptions- Ensure that your video titles and descriptions include relevant keywords that people are likely to search for. This will help your videos appear in search results and get more views. Use keyword tools like Ahrefs to guide you on which keywords would help your videos/ channel rank higher.
· Optimize your thumbnail image. Your video’s thumbnail image is what appears in search results and on your channel page, so make sure it’s attractive and enticing. Use bright colors and an eye-catching image that accurately represents the content of your video.
· Promote your videos elsewhere. In addition to optimizing your videos for YouTube itself, promote them on other websites and social media platforms. This will help drive traffic to your YouTube channel and increase the chances of people watching your videos.
· Engage with your viewers. If people comment on or like your videos, take the time to respond. This will show that you care about your audience and further engage them with your content. Additionally, ask questions at the end of your videos or in the description box to encourage viewers to leave comments.
How to make money on YouTube
Now that we have covered some of the basics, we will give you further insights on how you can make money on YouTube. We listed below the common ways you can earn from YouTube.
· Ad Revenue: Ad revenue is the most common way people make money on YouTube. You can sign up for AdSense, which will place ads on your videos and pay you based on views and clicks. To be eligible for AdSense, your channel must have 4,000 watch hours in the last 12 months and 1,000 subscribers; this is what we discussed earlier in the monetization section of your channel’s dashboard. Once approved, you will need to link your AdSense account to your YouTube channel to earn money.
· Channel Sponsorships and Product Placements: Channel sponsorships are another way to generate income on YouTube. You can find companies or brands that are willing to sponsor your channel in exchange for exposure. Typically, sponsors will pay you a set amount per month or per video. To find sponsorships, you can reach out to companies directly or use a platform like FameBit, which connects influencers with brands. This is also similar to YouTube Affiliate Marketing.
· Selling Products and Services: Finally, you can also generate income by selling products and services through your YouTube channel. This could include things like e-books, courses, merchandise, or consulting services. This is a great way to do it if you have an existing product or service that you want to promote on YouTube. You can also create new products specifically for sale through your channel.
· If you have established a significant following, you can do live streams wherein people can send you monetary gifts.
· Sign up for Patreon. According to their website:
“Patreon is a way to get paid for creating the things Youtubers are already creating. Fans pay a few bucks per month OR per post you release, and then you get paid every month or every time you release something new.”
Learn more about their program for creators at Patreon.
Some advice for a Beginner YouTube Content Creator
There are 14.3 billion visits per month to YouTube, according to Hootsuite. This makes it the second most-visited website (Google being number one). This means that competition to rank high can be pretty challenging. This is why it is recommended to find a niche for your channel so you can build an audience around it.
Niche is your focus or main category. Will your channel be about pets? Beauty? Health and fitness? Self-development? Gaming? Consumer tech? Plants? Arts? Woodwork? The list goes on. Establishing your niche will help you create strategies that will let you be seen by visitors and curate content that are more valuable to your viewers.
In relation to this, you need to ponder upon your brand well. Your brand will be your identity, and you should be consistent with it. Branding may make you stand out, which is important in a high-competition platform. VidIQ provides tips on how to brand yourself on YouTube.
With YouTube’s massive reach, it is not surprising that it can be a source of income for many. You can earn from YouTube in several ways, and we listed the most common ones: ad revenue, sponsorship and product placements, selling products and services, live stream gifts, and through Patreon. The challenge is to grow your subscribers and engagement.
With the guide we provided on how to make money on YouTube, you can now start planning and strategizing your content and channel brand. Take the leap to be a YouTube content creator and start achieving your dreams!